Wednesday, 12 June 2013

Defying the Odds and other oddities....

Another idea out the window, here is the latest in the world of Odd.

Settled on a tube-like sock monster. I might play further with the design in the holidays, (I'm considering how useful a pair of arms might be here...) but here is how it stands at the moment.



Also my last storyboard was far too long for a human to achieve in the time we have, so here are my favourite parts. I think keeping the title sequence (socks on a line) and the bouncy silly poses of the sock monster are what I'm taking from it.

(...excuse my sketchiness :p)

And lastly here's the new plot.

Mr sock monster meets competitive lady sock monster, chaos ensues.
Either they both end up with a pile of unravelled inedible string, or he is tricked and left the fool.

If I have to pick one scene out of this to complete to my best ability, it would be not the exposition or conclusion, but the humour when he realises she is stealing the last odd sock.


Inspiration taken from Ice Age's Scrat/Scratte tango obviously. I want to keep the humour, but explore it less as a dance and more about his fear of them being discovered/leaving a mess, as the lady sock monster destroys everything.

Visual style and music will also make it very different. I'm going for a very sock-puppet crafty homemade look. Colours and patterns on fabric are going to play a big part.




And the reason why i've gone this new direction?

I loved the old idea of the sock monster and the man, but the extra rig and the sheer volume of what needed to be covered in their relationship, along with what I expected as a happy ending can't quite be covered in 2-5 minutes. Plus I never knew where the man's character was going, he was a big blank in my head.


These two monsters can use the same rig with different patterns. There doesn't need to be a happy ending. The story is based around slapstick and any extract will have humour, and be about the timing and visuals.

In other word's I want to go for quirky entertainment, not deep and meaningful plot. I think I'll enjoy it this way more too :)