I stumbled across Imaginism a while ago and would reccomend the interviews for anyone wanting an insight into animation companies such as Dreamworks and Disney, and also the great animators and artists who are leading the field at the moment!
Mike Yamada & Victoria Yang Interview
Bobby Chiu, the concept artist behind the fantastic creatures of John Carter and Alice and Wonderland, is the interviewer. I notice he always asks artists about whether it is drawing or painting that was the basis that drove them to animation.
There are some quite interesting responses, some artists see a big division between the two, and others draw a lot of parallels and emphasize the importance of both mediums. Painters tend to see things in terms of value, hue and saturation whereas drawing-based artists see things in terms of line, gesture and movement. I would say I definitely fit into the later of those two categories.
And always always always that traditional art can bring a great amount of depth to digital art. So back to life drawing and painting for me xp